Warehouse racking systems; if not correctly used or maintained, can end up being dangerous, costly and a huge inconvenience for any business. Overloaded or damaged storage racking systems can collapse and cause severe injuries to employees; which is a common workplace safety issue. As a business you are required to ensure racking structures are fitted, used and sustained safely and properly and this is why warehouse racking safety procedures should be an important part of your workplace safety plan.
Below are 9 simple steps you can take in order to prevent racking damage or workplace injuries.
- Ensure that the right type of machinery; such as a forklift, is employed for your warehouse. Whether your warehouse needs a narrow aisle forklift or a reach truck, there must be adequate aisle widths for your specific needs. Remember that narrower aisles might save space but they can also reduce productivity; so ensure operators are comfortable in the aisle width.
- Forklift drivers need to be well qualified when using machinery in your warehouse; and management needs to make sure that drivers are only working to their abilities as collisions can be quite common in the warehouse.
- Ensure aisles and passageways are wide enough for pedestrians and machinery to safely move around.
- It is common for racking to be hit by machinery such as forklifts; so to avoid damage and reduce the power of an impact, column guards or protective material can be employed around the base of your racking to keep it intact.
- Before using racking in a warehouse you must ensure that the racking structure is well secured to the floor base and each beam of the structure is firmly secured to each other.
- Before stacking pallets onto a racking system it is vital to ensure the racking is in good/sturdy condition. If the racking is already damaged or broken it can create issues over time. Too much pressure applied to the inside of beams or uneven weight can create an uneven surface.
- When stacking pallets and loads onto the racking structure it must be ensured that the pallets do not exceed the maximum weight capacity of the racking system. They also need to be carefully placed on the beams evenly; ensuring that it is secure and evenly spread out to prevent tipping or falling objects.
- If any part of the racking structure has been in a collision it is important to identify the damaged sections so precautions can be made to repair and remove any unsafe objects to prevent possible future injuries or the collapse of racking altogether.
- If there has been any damage to the racking structure; ensure that the damage is reported (even if it is a near miss) and all employees have been warned, as this is a legal requirement.
For More Information Contact Us :
PERKASA RACKING – PT. TANGGUH ADI PERKASA TAP
Office | Workshop :
JL. KH AGUS SALIM NO.53 A – Gang Manaco Kel. Bekasi Jaya – Kec. Bekasi Timur
Kota Bekasi – Jawa Barat
Phone. (021) 8835 6096 | Faks. (021) 8829 740
Marketing Call|WA : Pak Adi : 0822 1020 3909